LogisticMart  Moving Guide

Have you ever wondered what if the goods have been damaged by the relocation service providers and there is a dispute?

It can be quite a stressful experience, and it can be even more frustrating when the packers and movers in Bannerghatta are asking for proof and you do not have any. 
If you are facing a similar situation, it's essential to know the process of solving a dispute with the shifting companies:
Goods Transport Services in Bangalore - LogisticMart

Here are the steps you should follow:
  1. Assess the Damage: The first step is to determine the extent of the damage as soon as possible. Take pictures and videos of the damaged goods, and make a list of all the damaged items. This will help you present a strong case to the shifting service providers. 
  2. Contact the Packers and Movers: The next step is to contact the moving companies and inform them about the damage. Provide them with the evidence you have gathered and ask them to compensate you for the damages.
  3. File a Complaint: If the transporters in Bangalore are not willing to compensate you, file a complaint with the company's customer service department. Send them the evidence you have gathered and explain your situation. 
  4. Seek Legal Help: If the relocation company refuses to compensate you, seek legal help. You can file a case against them in a consumer court or hire a lawyer to help you resolve the dispute. Ensure that you have all the necessary documents, including the contract and the evidence of the damages.
  5. Negotiate: In some cases, the shifting service providers may agree to compensate you for the damages. If they offer you a settlement, negotiate the terms and ensure that it covers the full cost of the damages.
Hence, if your goods get damaged during the moving process, it's essential to follow the above steps to resolve the dispute with the packers and movers in Bannerghatta Road to avoid any further stress and frustration.

Go Back

Post a Comment
Created using the new Bravenet Siteblocks builder. (Report Abuse)